Rásaíocht Con Éireann / Greyhound Racing Ireland (GRI) has responsibility for the promotion, regulation, and on-going development of the Greyhound industry in Ireland. A vacancy has arisen for the position of Control Steward (Part-time, 3 days per week). Full details of the position are outlined below.
Job Title: Control Steward – Kilkenny / Thurles
Objectives: This position is an important role in terms of overseeing, supervising, and delivering the integrity of the greyhound industry in relation to; official race meetings, official trial sessions at Kilkenny and Thurles Greyhound Stadia or other licensed stadia along with ensuring that the highest possible welfare standards are being maintained.
Reports to: Director Regulation or as nominated by the CEO.
Contract Type: Permanent, Part time 3 days per week (23.5 hours) – Significant opportunities also exist for additional weekly duties in the line of Control Steward duties at Greyhound Sales, Relief Control Steward duties at other stadia, Participation in Sampling Teams at licensed stadia, Greyhound Welfare Kennel Inspections, Home checks prior to greyhound adoption and Participation in events promoting Greyhound Adoption and the workings of the Irish Retired Greyhound Trust.
Location: Kilkenny Greyhound Stadium & Thurles Greyhound Stadium
Key responsibilities and duties include:
- Monitoring, overseeing and giving direction to racing officials and other stewards in the exercise of their duties as assigned to them by the Greyhound Industry (Racing) Regulations, and maintaining integrity, such that each meeting is run in a well-regulated and punctual manner.
- Overseeing, supervising and implementing RCÉ racing regulations at licensed stadia.
- Ensuring the welfare of greyhounds when presented for races and trials at licensed stadia.
- Applicants should be keenly aware of the standards required for safe track conditions before and during race and trial sessions.
- The compilation and reporting of a detailed record on all race and official trial sessions.
- The holding and reporting of Stewards Inquiries on regulatory matters in conjunction with other stewards of the meeting.
- Professionally dealing with owners and trainers
- The weighing and identification of greyhounds for official race and trial meetings.
- Attendance at hearings of the Independent Control Committee when required.
- Procuring urine samples from greyhounds as stipulated for the purpose of prohibited substance detection.
- Carrying out of welfare related inspections as requested.
- Assisting with the microchipping of greyhounds for identification purposes.
- Participation in testing teams as required at licensed stadia.
- All and any other duties as listed in the Greyhound Industry (Racing) Regulations 2007 - 2017
- Flexibility in carrying out other role related duties and cover for colleagues as required from time to time.
- Conduct investigations/enquiries relating to the Greyhound Industry when requested to do so by senior RCÉ management.
- Comply with all RCÉ procedures to include all statutory procedures - Fire Health and Safety, hygiene, internal audit.
- To carry out any other reasonable task as assigned by management to meet with business needs.
Hours of Work
This role is part-time, 3 days per week (23.5 hours) with significant opportunities for additional weekly duties and associated remuneration and travel costs
Education and Preferred Behaviours and Competencies
- Ideally educated to Degree level 7/8 or equivalent in a relevant discipline or profession
- Relevant knowledge and experience of rules of racing and/or legal regulation procedures.
- Experience of the application and implementation of statutory standards, codes, procedures, and requirements.
- Strong and resolute decision-making skills.
- Ability to build and maintain a professional relationship with owners and trainers. Excellent interpersonal, people and conflict management skills.
- Ability to work flexibly as part of a small team in an industry environment which is undergoing rapid change.
- Be computer literate to include the Microsoft Office suite, along with email proficiency.
- Skills in managing time and setting priorities as well as planning and organising one’s own work.
- Demonstrate decision making abilities.
Good administrative and organisational skills.